So this is my next sewing project and it turned out to be a lot harder than the last one...probably because it was not for me and I didn't have the correct measurements for the person I was making it for. But in the end it worked out and here it is!
I made a dress with the same pattern as this one in the summer and my friend loved it so I decided to make one for her! The pattern I used was not really even a pattern it was a tutorial I followed and it worked really well. Well, at least it would of worked really well if I had the right measurements.
Between the beginning of this project and somewhere in the middle I got a new phone and before I could get the pictures off the phone my brother wiped the memory so below is the first picture I was able to get of the project .
At this point it looks pretty much done (or at least that is what I thought then) and it was made up of three basic pieces.
Pictured above is the I guess it would be called the bodice of the dress and it is already attached to the waistband. To make this part I cut out the the front and back based on a neckline from one of my shirts. Then I sewed them together at the tops. The little bits of a sleeve went on next. To make those I simply cut out a strip on fabric folded it in half and then sewed it on at an angle so the sleeve eventually disappeared into the shirt. Then because of measurement problems I have to put in an extra piece of fabric on the side of the bodice so it would actually fit onto my friend. That it where the mistakes started. I was not thinking at all and only put the extra piece on one side making it all uneven. When I went to sew the waistband on I made it way two small which caused a lot of problems later on.
Then the skirt was cut out which was just a long piece of fabric sewn into a tube. After then I had what is in the first picture. At first it looked almost done but then my mom made me try it on. It looked SO ugly! It was a lumpy and weird and one sleeve thing was way longer than the other. Soooo.......I tore it all apart!
Leaving me with what's in the picture above. (though I originally had a different colour waist band but I switched to blue because I did not have enough fabric to make another bigger one, in the end it worked good and the blue waistband looks great) To start the great journey of piecing it all back together and fixing the mistakes along the way I put in another extra piece of fabric like the other one on the other side of the shirt part of the dress. This helped to make the sides more even and make the bodice way less tight. This worked wonders in the dress and even made the new and bigger waistband a lot easier to put on.
Above are pictures from cutting out the new waistband and extra pieced and then sewing then on.
So now I need to sew on the skirt.... It's all pinned on and ready to go
And we have this, though it is no where near being done
Next I hem the bottom because it is to long for my friend she likes her dresses short so she can still run.
And now for the hardest part of this project...THE ZIPPER!!!! At first I was really scared about putting in a zipper but it just really needed to be done. So first I undid a bunch of my work and cut all the way down the back of the dress.
Then I pinned the zipper to one side of the opening making sure to measure so it was all even. Sewing it on was next and that went fast.
Next came the other side!
Then I turned it right side out and sewed all around the edges to hold it all down nicely.
And now we have a complete and only slightly crooked zipper.
Last of all I hemmed the neckline by sewing bias tape then folding the top over and sewing that.
and......TA-DA a finished dress
So it ended up taking quite a bit of time and a whole lot of headaches trying to figure out all the problems. In the end though I did learn a whole lot from this project. I learned how to problem solve things on my own. And sewing is kinda like doing an algebra equation when you do something to one side you have to do it to the other to keep everything even. This project got a bit stressful but I think the experience will help a lot with all my future projects!